Quantcast

C# REPL shell on Windows in Mono 2.6 does not work at all?

C# REPL shell on Windows in Mono 2.6 does not work at all?

zvolkov
The command-line C# REPL shell does not work for me on Windows.

I start the Mono Command Line shortcut provided by the installation.
From that I run csharp.bat located at Mono's bin directory.
What I get is a command prompt that allows me to type and echoes my characters but never prints anything back. Looks like csharp.exe is not running in the interactive mode and waits for the EOF of the file it's supposed to compile.

Mono itself works fine. Mcs / Gmcs both work fine. The graphical GUI (gcsharp) works fine. I'm running Mono 2.6 (General Availability release mono-2.6-gtksharp-2.12.9-win32-4.exe) on Windows Server 2008 64 bit.

Anybody experiences same issue? Am I doing anything stupid?

Re: C# REPL shell on Windows in Mono 2.6 does not work at all?

zvolkov
Clarification: I think it actually works but the prompt is not displayed properly. In the command-line REPL shell ("csharp") the Prompt "csharp>" is never displayed. In graphic REPL shell ("gsharp") the Prompt is displayed but the ContinuationPrompt never seems to display, at least not when I try the sample code from http://www.mono-project.com/CsharpRepl

from f in Directory.GetFiles ("/etc")

zvolkov wrote
The command-line C# REPL shell does not work for me on Windows.

I start the Mono Command Line shortcut provided by the installation.
From that I run csharp.bat located at Mono's bin directory.

zvolkov wrote:

> The command-line C# REPL shell does not work for me on Windows.
>
> I start the Mono Command Line shortcut provided by the installation.
> From that I run csharp.bat located at Mono's bin directory.
> What I get is a command prompt that allows me to type and echoes my
> characters but never prints anything back. Looks like csharp.exe is not
> running in the interactive mode and waits for the EOF of the file it's
> supposed to compile.
>
> Mono itself works fine. Mcs / Gmcs both work fine. The graphical GUI
> (gcsharp) works fine. I'm running Mono 2.6 (General Availability release
> mono-2.6-gtksharp-2.12.9-win32-4.exe) on Windows Server 2008 64 bit.
>
> Anybody experiences same issue? Am I doing anything stupid?

Re: C# REPL shell on Windows in Mono 2.6 does not work at all?

ray vega
I also had  the same issues running the C# REPL on Windows.  The prompt does not show in the command line console (cmd) but it does if you use gsharp.  All statements and expressions needs to end with ";" and the continuation prompt does not work which limits one to write your entire expression on one line.  Other than that every else should behave as expected.

Re: C# REPL shell on Windows in Mono 2.6 does not work at all?

Miguel de Icaza
Hello,

http://lexicalclosures.blogspot.com/2010/04/mono-c-repl-on-windows.html the
same issues running the C# REPL on Windows .  The prompt does not show in
the command line console (cmd) but it does if you use gsharp.

Right, this was a bug in the REPL code.   I was not probing for the operating system, and it just assumed that there was no interactive console.

This is fixed on trunk.

If you have Visual Studio installed, my blog has instructions on how to build the REPL from source, it should only require a source checkout and hitting F5 on VS.

All
statements and expressions needs to end with ";" and the continuation prompt
does not work which limits one to write your entire expression on one line.

The ";" is necessary to complete a statement.

olivier7
This bug is still present in 2.6.7. Is that normal?

Re: C# REPL shell on Windows in Mono 2.6 does not work at all?

Miguel de Icaza
Hello,

> This bug is still present in 2.6.7. Is that normal?

It is possible I only fixed this on trunk.