Quantcast

Packaging of dotnet-core for Debian?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Packaging of dotnet-core for Debian?

Jörg Sommer
Hi,

does anyone go for packaging the dotnet-core for Debian? There are still
some Debian packages provided by the dotnet team, but only for Jessie for
x64: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/

Regards Jörg

_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Packaging of dotnet-core for Debian?

Jo Shields
Meebey did some initial exploration work, AFAIK. I simply haven't had
the time to look into it in any great depth

On 05/04/17 21:05, Jörg Sommer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone go for packaging the dotnet-core for Debian? There are still
> some Debian packages provided by the dotnet team, but only for Jessie for
> x64: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/
>
> Regards Jörg
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel
>

_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Packaging of dotnet-core for Debian?

Jörg Sommer
In reply to this post by Jörg Sommer
Jörg Sommer hat am Mi 05. Apr, 22:05 (+0200) geschrieben:
> does anyone go for packaging the dotnet-core for Debian? There are still
> some Debian packages provided by the dotnet team, but only for Jessie for
> x64: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/

I've started to create Debian packages for dotnet-core, but it feels very
difficult, because there's no information of how to build the dotnet
bundle from scratch.

I've created these packages:

* dotnet-coreclr for https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr
* dotnet-corefx for https://github.com/dotnet/corefx
* dotnet for https://github.com/dotnet/core-setup
* dotnet-bootstrap-deps containing all files from the official tarball I
  couldn't build from scratch.

I hope, I find more and more the commands how to build the files in
dotnet-bootstrap-deps from scratch and can replace them.

Currently, dotnet fails to start, because something is broken:

% /usr/lib/dotnet/dotnet --version
Failed to initialize CoreCLR, HRESULT: 0x80004005

If someone could join me and help building the packages, would be very
good.

Regards Jörg

_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Packaging of dotnet-core for Debian?

Jörg Sommer
Jörg Sommer hat am Di 09. Mai, 15:16 (+0200) geschrieben:

> Jörg Sommer hat am Mi 05. Apr, 22:05 (+0200) geschrieben:
> > does anyone go for packaging the dotnet-core for Debian? There are still
> > some Debian packages provided by the dotnet team, but only for Jessie for
> > x64: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/
>
> I've started to create Debian packages for dotnet-core, but it feels very
> difficult, because there's no information of how to build the dotnet
> bundle from scratch.
>
> I've created these packages:
>
> * dotnet-coreclr for https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr
> * dotnet-corefx for https://github.com/dotnet/corefx
> * dotnet for https://github.com/dotnet/core-setup
> * dotnet-bootstrap-deps containing all files from the official tarball I
>   couldn't build from scratch.
I've forgot to mention, I've put my work on github:

* https://github.com/jo-so/debian-dotnet-coreclr
* https://github.com/jo-so/debian-dotnet-corefx
* https://github.com/jo-so/debian-dotnet-core-setup
* https://github.com/jo-so/debian-dotnet-bootstrap-deps

> I hope, I find more and more the commands how to build the files in
> dotnet-bootstrap-deps from scratch and can replace them.
>
> Currently, dotnet fails to start, because something is broken:
>
> % /usr/lib/dotnet/dotnet --version
> Failed to initialize CoreCLR, HRESULT: 0x80004005
>
> If someone could join me and help building the packages, would be very
> good.
>
> Regards Jörg


_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Packaging of dotnet-core for Debian?

Mirco Bauer-2
Thanks for sharing your packaging effort.

When it comes to packaging a new runtime there are many issues to solve, such as the bootstrap problem you already ran into.
There are also lega/copyright work that needs to be done. After that integration in cli-common is needed as well.

With regards to the bootstrap problem I am in contact with Microsoft to get that sorted out.
I can't really tell when I have time to look into packaging though.

Best regards,

Mirco (meebey) Bauer

FOSS Hacker             [hidden email]  https://www.meebey.net/
Debian Developer        [hidden email]  http://www.debian.org/
GNOME Foundation Member [hidden email] http://www.gnome.org/
CTO @ Gatecoin Ltd.     [hidden email] https://gatecoin.com/
.NET Foundation Advisory Council Member    http://www.dotnetfoundation.org/
PGP-Key ID              0x7127E5ABEEF946C8 https://meebey.net/pubkey.asc


On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Jörg Sommer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jörg Sommer hat am Di 09. Mai, 15:16 (+0200) geschrieben:
> Jörg Sommer hat am Mi 05. Apr, 22:05 (+0200) geschrieben:
> > does anyone go for packaging the dotnet-core for Debian? There are still
> > some Debian packages provided by the dotnet team, but only for Jessie for
> > x64: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/
>
> I've started to create Debian packages for dotnet-core, but it feels very
> difficult, because there's no information of how to build the dotnet
> bundle from scratch.
>
> I've created these packages:
>
> * dotnet-coreclr for https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr
> * dotnet-corefx for https://github.com/dotnet/corefx
> * dotnet for https://github.com/dotnet/core-setup
> * dotnet-bootstrap-deps containing all files from the official tarball I
>   couldn't build from scratch.

I've forgot to mention, I've put my work on github:

* https://github.com/jo-so/debian-dotnet-coreclr
* https://github.com/jo-so/debian-dotnet-corefx
* https://github.com/jo-so/debian-dotnet-core-setup
* https://github.com/jo-so/debian-dotnet-bootstrap-deps

> I hope, I find more and more the commands how to build the files in
> dotnet-bootstrap-deps from scratch and can replace them.
>
> Currently, dotnet fails to start, because something is broken:
>
> % /usr/lib/dotnet/dotnet --version
> Failed to initialize CoreCLR, HRESULT: 0x80004005
>
> If someone could join me and help building the packages, would be very
> good.
>
> Regards Jörg



_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel


_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Packaging of dotnet-core for Debian?

Jo Shields
In reply to this post by Jörg Sommer

Which distro are you trying to build on? Right now no version of .NET Core will run on Debian 9+ (https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/issues/11171)


Try what you're doing on Ubuntu, to see if anything changes (or Debian 8)


On 09/05/17 14:16, Jörg Sommer wrote:
Jörg Sommer hat am Mi 05. Apr, 22:05 (+0200) geschrieben:
does anyone go for packaging the dotnet-core for Debian? There are still
some Debian packages provided by the dotnet team, but only for Jessie for
x64: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/
I've started to create Debian packages for dotnet-core, but it feels very
difficult, because there's no information of how to build the dotnet
bundle from scratch.

I've created these packages:

* dotnet-coreclr for https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr
* dotnet-corefx for https://github.com/dotnet/corefx
* dotnet for https://github.com/dotnet/core-setup
* dotnet-bootstrap-deps containing all files from the official tarball I
  couldn't build from scratch.

I hope, I find more and more the commands how to build the files in
dotnet-bootstrap-deps from scratch and can replace them.

Currently, dotnet fails to start, because something is broken:

% /usr/lib/dotnet/dotnet --version
Failed to initialize CoreCLR, HRESULT: 0x80004005

If someone could join me and help building the packages, would be very
good.

Regards Jörg


_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel


_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Packaging of dotnet-core for Debian?

Jörg Sommer
Jo Shields hat am Di 09. Mai, 14:26 (+0100) geschrieben:

> On 09/05/17 14:16, Jörg Sommer wrote:
> > Jörg Sommer hat am Mi 05. Apr, 22:05 (+0200) geschrieben:
> > > does anyone go for packaging the dotnet-core for Debian? There are still
> > > some Debian packages provided by the dotnet team, but only for Jessie for
> > > x64: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/
> > I've started to create Debian packages for dotnet-core, but it feels very
> > difficult, because there's no information of how to build the dotnet
> > bundle from scratch.
> >
> > I've created these packages:
> >
> > * dotnet-coreclr for https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr
> > * dotnet-corefx for https://github.com/dotnet/corefx
> > * dotnet for https://github.com/dotnet/core-setup
> > * dotnet-bootstrap-deps containing all files from the official tarball I
> >    couldn't build from scratch.
> >
> > I hope, I find more and more the commands how to build the files in
> > dotnet-bootstrap-deps from scratch and can replace them.
> >
> > Currently, dotnet fails to start, because something is broken:
> >
> > % /usr/lib/dotnet/dotnet --version
> > Failed to initialize CoreCLR, HRESULT: 0x80004005

> Which distro are you trying to build on? Right now no version of .NET Core
> will run on Debian 9+ (https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/issues/11171)

That's an old issue, I've ran into in the beginning. You have to rebuild
System.Security.Cryptography.Native.OpenSsl.so in dotnet-corefx. Run:

src/Native/build-native.sh clang3.8 x64 release

and then copy
bin/Linux.x64.Release/native/System.Security.Cryptography.Native.OpenSsl.so
to shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/2.0.0-preview2...

That's the main reason, I've started building the dotnet bundle from
scratch, but it seems the build process is very handcrafted.

Jörg

_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Packaging of dotnet-core for Debian?

Jörg Sommer
In reply to this post by Jörg Sommer
Jörg Sommer hat am Di 09. Mai, 15:16 (+0200) geschrieben:
> Jörg Sommer hat am Mi 05. Apr, 22:05 (+0200) geschrieben:
> > does anyone go for packaging the dotnet-core for Debian? There are still
> > some Debian packages provided by the dotnet team, but only for Jessie for
> > x64: https://github.com/dotnet/cli/

> Currently, dotnet fails to start, because something is broken:
>
> % /usr/lib/dotnet/dotnet --version
> Failed to initialize CoreCLR, HRESULT: 0x80004005

I've found the cause and a fix[1] was already in the master branch. Hence,
I've switched the base of all my branches to origin/master and now it
works.

I've created a new package dotnet-bootstrap-buildtools that contains the
run.exe found in https://github.com/dotnet/buildtools, which seems to be
essential for all builds. In all repositories is a call of run.sh
involved, that triggers a download of the dotnet bundle and uses
this dotnet binary in the further steps.

To have a better starting point, I've created a wiki page to document the
work: https://github.com/jo-so/debian-dotnet-core-setup/wiki

Regards Jörg

[1] https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/commit/3f67146dc1f6ac95ba5cec6d9549d12330d3036c#diff-d6530a0363730d3222cf9d57037d84a0L2371

_______________________________________________
Pkg-mono-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-mono-devel

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Loading...