Quantcast

Using resource Files on MonoDevelop

Paulo Aboim Pinto
Hello

I'm trying to use resource files on MonoDevelop and I can figure how I do it.

I try to follow this tutorial: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.resources.resourcemanager.aspx
to create the resource files for default culture and for another culture.

I can use the strings from default resource file, but I can't use the second resource file. I'm trying to create a file for pt-PT culture.

I add the resource files created with the tutorial above and when I do this:

ResourceManager rm = new ResourceManager("newTestBed", Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly());
System.Console.WriteLine(string.Format("--> {0}", rm.GetString("Field1")));

I get the default value of the Field1

When I do this:
CultureInfo ci = new CultureInfo("pt-PT");
if (rm.GetResourceSet(ci, true, false) == null)
                System.Console.WriteLine("pt-PT not found");

I always get that "pt-PT not found". Why? I add the newTestBed.resources, newTestBed.pt-PT.resources to the Resources folder and this still don't work.
When I compile my project I get this:
Generating satellite assembly for 'pt-PT' culture with al2

If the pt-PT culture is compile to the assembly, why I can't use the resource.

Regards
Paulo Aboim Pinto
Odivelas - Portugal

--
Have income spending 5 minutes a day
Click here: http://bux.to/?r=esqueleto

Re: Using resource Files on MonoDevelop

Petit Eric
2008/2/10, Paulo Aboim Pinto <[hidden email]>:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to use resource files on MonoDevelop and I can figure how I do
> it.
>
> I try to follow this tutorial:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.resources.resourcemanager.aspx
>  to create the resource files for default culture and for another culture.
>
> I can use the strings from default resource file, but I can't use the second
> resource file. I'm trying to create a file for pt-PT culture.
>
> I add the resource files created with the tutorial above and when I do this:
>
> ResourceManager rm = new ResourceManager("newTestBed",
> Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly());
> System.Console.WriteLine(string.Format("--> {0}", rm.GetString("Field1")));
>
> I get the default value of the Field1
>
> When I do this:
> CultureInfo ci = new CultureInfo("pt-PT");
> if (rm.GetResourceSet(ci, true, false) == null)
>                 System.Console.WriteLine("pt-PT not found");
>
> I always get that "pt-PT not found". Why? I add the newTestBed.resources,
> newTestBed.pt-PT.resources to the Resources folder and this still don't
> work.
> When I compile my project I get this:
> Generating satellite assembly for 'pt-PT' culture with al2
>
> If the pt-PT culture is compile to the assembly, why I can't use the
> resource.
Because, i think the culture of your system is not pt-PT.

2008/2/10, Petit Eric <[hidden email]>:

> 2008/2/10, Paulo Aboim Pinto <[hidden email]>:
> > Hello
> >
> > I'm trying to use resource files on MonoDevelop and I can figure how I do
> > it.
> >
> > I try to follow this tutorial:
> > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.resources.resourcemanager.aspx
> >  to create the resource files for default culture and for another culture.
> >
> > I can use the strings from default resource file, but I can't use the second
> > resource file. I'm trying to create a file for pt-PT culture.
> >
> > I add the resource files created with the tutorial above and when I do this:
> >
> > ResourceManager rm = new ResourceManager("newTestBed",
> > Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly());
> > System.Console.WriteLine(string.Format("--> {0}", rm.GetString("Field1")));
> >
> > I get the default value of the Field1
> >
> > When I do this:
> > CultureInfo ci = new CultureInfo("pt-PT");
> > if (rm.GetResourceSet(ci, true, false) == null)
> >                 System.Console.WriteLine("pt-PT not found");
> >
> > I always get that "pt-PT not found". Why? I add the newTestBed.resources,
> > newTestBed.pt-PT.resources to the Resources folder and this still don't
> > work.
> > When I compile my project I get this:
> > Generating satellite assembly for 'pt-PT' culture with al2
> >
> > If the pt-PT culture is compile to the assembly, why I can't use the
> > resource.
> Because, i think the culture of your system is not pt-PT.
Also your form(s) should have property "localizable" to "true".

> > Regards
> > Paulo Aboim Pinto
> > Odivelas - Portugal
> >
> > --
> > Have income spending 5 minutes a day
> > Click here: http://bux.to/?r=esqueleto

Fwd: Using resource Files on MonoDevelop

Paulo Aboim Pinto
this message was not to the list

Re: Fwd: Using resource Files on MonoDevelop

Petit Eric
2008/2/10, Paulo Aboim Pinto <[hidden email]>:

> this message was not to the list

Well, from my experiance, i never sucessfull change the language of a
thread already runing, i thind i had folow the way as you, wath i say,
is the satelite seem correct, but this satelite was used only in
function of your system culture, i never change this sucessfull by the
code and don't know how to do this.
If you prefer, a good check should be under windows with VS express,
make a windows app project, with form, put at true the localized
propriety of the form, choice portugal laungage and change the text
(title) of the form by portugal, choice Fr language and change text to
FR .....
With a combo change the language and you will see, the text of the
form never change, because the curent thread use at startup of it the
culture of the system and then load the corect dll assembly, in your
case the pt-PT.dll but after when change the language with the combo
to other than pt-PT, how say : unload pt-PT.dll and then load for
exemple fr-FR.dll without restarting the thred.
If you find the solution i will be very interesded to know it.
Thank's

> [...]
> >            = New
> System.Globalization.CultureInfo("fr-FR")
> >
> Console.WriteLine(System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture)
> >        Console.WriteLine
> >        RunTests
> >
> >        Console.WriteLine
> >        Console.WriteLine
> >
> Console.WriteLine("-----------------------------------------")
> >
> System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture _
> >            = New
> System.Globalization.CultureInfo("en-GB")
> >
> Console.WriteLine(System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture)
> >        Console.WriteLine
> >

> --
>

> Have income spending 5 minutes a day
> Click here: http://bux.to/?r=esqueleto
>

> --
>
> Have income spending 5 minutes a day
> Click here: http://bux.to/?r=esqueleto

Re: Fwd: Using resource Files on MonoDevelop

Rafael Teixeira
AFAIK, the satellite assemblies need to be in a specific place relative to the primary assembly, check if after building, MD does put them on the right place or it mono won't find them and will keep using the primary resources. I am not able to check it myself, just now.

:)

On Feb 10, 2008 3:30 PM, Petit Eric <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/2/10, Paulo Aboim Pinto <[hidden email]>:
> this message was not to the list

Rafael "Monoman" Teixeira

Re: Fwd: Using resource Files on MonoDevelop

Paulo Aboim Pinto
Hello

Can you tell me what specific file is that!?!? The MD don't copy any resource file to the bin/Debug. I copy manually to the bin/Debug directory. To the main directory and to pt-PT directory and the result is always the same.

When I try to do this:
ResourceManager rm = new ResourceManager("res.pt-PT", Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly());

I get this error:
Unhandled Exception: System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure "res.pt-PT.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "ConsoleTestBed" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.
  at System.Resources.ResourceManager.AssemblyResourceMissing (System.String fileName) [0x00047] in /home/esqueleto/myTrash/mono-1.2.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.Resources/ResourceManager.cs:512
  at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet (System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, Boolean Createifnotexists, Boolean tryParents) [0x001f5] in /home/esqueleto/myTrash/mono-1.2.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.Resources/ResourceManager.cs:395
  at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet (System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, Boolean Createifnotexists, Boolean tryParents) [0x001d1] in /home/esqueleto/myTrash/mono-1.2.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.Resources/ResourceManager.cs:387
  at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet (System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, Boolean Createifnotexists, Boolean tryParents) [0x001d1] in /home/esqueleto/myTrash/mono-1.2.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.Resources/ResourceManager.cs:387
  at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetString (System.String name, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00026] in /home/esqueleto/myTrash/mono-1.2.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.Resources/ResourceManager.cs:235
  at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetString (System.String name) [0x00000] in /home/esqueleto/myTrash/mono-1.2.6/mcs/class/corlib/System.Resources/ResourceManager.cs:223
  at ConsoleTestBed.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00078] in /home/esqueleto/myDevelop/MultiPlatformProject/ConsoleTestBed/Main.cs:58

When I compile I get this
Generating satellite assembly for 'pt-PT' culture with al2

What I'm doing wrong?

Regards
Paulo Aboim Pinto

On Feb 10, 2008 9:26 PM, Rafael Teixeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIK, the satellite assemblies need to be in a specific place relative to the primary assembly, check if after building, MD does put them on the right place or it mono won't find them and will keep using the primary resources. I am not able to check it myself, just now.

:)

On Feb 10, 2008 3:30 PM, Petit Eric <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/2/10, Paulo Aboim Pinto <[hidden email]>:
> this message was not to the list

---------------------------------------
"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."
Augusten Burroughs

--
Have income spending 5 minutes a day
Click here: http://bux.to/?r=esqueleto

Re: Fwd: Using resource Files on MonoDevelop

Petit Eric
>Generating satellite assembly for 'pt-PT' culture with al2
Let say you choice to compil with "Debug"
you should have a output directory like this :
Bin/Debug/yourexecutable.exe
Bin/Debug/pt-PT/yourexecutable.exe.resources.dll
Let s say you also have ressource for language FR, :
Bin/Debug/fr-FR/yourexecutable.exe.resources.dll

This tree is automaticaly generated by compiler, the ressource file
are for internationalization of a prog, that also why the good
satelite is loaded during your software startup and according with the
language parameter of your system.

Re: Fwd: Using resource Files on MonoDevelop

Paulo Aboim Pinto
This is a little bit strange, because the MonoDevelop don't do any of this on Debug directory.... Anyone has try this with MonoDevelop?

I will fill a Bug on Bugzilla!!

Regards
Paulo Aboim Pinto
Odivelas - Portugal